Your Best Defence is Offence
We often leave things in business to chance, rather than being proactive about the outcome we require. Whilst talking on the telephone or with a Sales Rep, be proactive in recording the conversation details (in your day book or diary) and then convert them into writing and email a copy to the other party to confirm the discussions, the outcomes and expected results.
They will quickly come back to you should the discussion not be accurate. Recently this allowed one of my clients to confirm an order with 50% deposit and the balance payable 50% after delivery for time sensitive stock and also take the pressure off their cash-flow obligations.
Don’t be afraid to remind people that you have taken notes and you are confirming the conversation so that there are no crossed lines of communication.
Let’s get real in today’s society with the amount of litigation going around. Most cases are won on having written notes. If you expect to win with verbal testimony be prepared to be heavily tested on it and in the majority of cases lose.
Don’t stand on hand-shake and other verbal promises. If the relationship is built on a hand-shake then it will withstand the written confirmation of that agreement.
If you have trouble getting written confirmation, either chose to write to them and confirm the instructions and decisions OR decide not to deal with them at all.
You can identify master manipulators as they take no notes and have everything verbal. When questioned they will lie, change their mind and also try to emotionally steamroll you into another course of action. Take it from me, avoid them and get rid of them politely and quickly.
- Confirm everything in writing – post, fax or email.
- Use PDF format rather than email a word document (unless you want changes to it)
- If they won’t confirm then write your confirmation in a style that allows no doubt that the onus is on them to bring up any changes required.
- If you think you are being shafted, you probably are! Be proactive in getting separate advice on how to handle it quickly and efficiently.
- Keep your record safe and where necessary password protect your laptop and files.
If you need assistance in how to set up a documentation system contact us!
- Coaching Testimonials
- News & Blog
- Small Business Advice
- Small Business Coaching
- Small Business Communication
- Small Business eMarketing
- Small Business Financial Control
- Small Business Management
- Small Business Marketing Consultant
- Small Business Marketing Services
- Small Business Organising
- Small Business Plans
- Small Business Profitability
- Small Business Solutions
- Small Business Support
- Small Business Systems
- Small Business Time Management
- Small Business Tips
- Small Business Training